Sunport Achieves STAR Facility Accreditation
The Albuquerque International Sunport recently achieved the Global Biorisk Advisory Council’s (GBAC) STAR Facility Accreditation. This performance-based accreditation is the gold standard for facilities and demonstrates that proper cleaning, disinfection, and infectious disease prevention protocols are in place.
The GBAC is a specialty division of the International Sanitary Supply Association, the world’s leading trade association for the cleaning industry. The term “STAR” refers to the program’s first-class expectations for facilities’ implementation of cleaning and disinfection practices necessary to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and safety for occupants.
“Our teams have always taken pride in the work they do to ensure the Sunport is clean and safe for our passengers, employees, and the entire community,” said Richard McCurley, Interim Director of Aviation for the City of Albuquerque. “This distinguished accreditation is evidence that our cleaning program, staff’s dedication, and hard work has paid off.”
Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Sunport has implemented a variety of practices and procedures in addition to its typical cleaning to combat the spread of coronavirus including:
- Implementation of and adherence to the federal mask mandate
- Plexiglass partitions at all counter spaces
- Floor decals that provide social distancing guidance
- Frequent sanitization, particularly in high-traffic areas and frequent touchpoints
- Installation of additional hand sanitizer stations
- Use of autonomous disinfecting robots
- Implementation of UVC air purification systems to ensure the air circulating throughout the terminal building is fresh and clean
- On-site COVID-19 testing
The Sunport’s STAR Facility Accreditation will be in place through October 2022, at which time reaccreditation
will be evaluated by GBAC. For more information about GBAC, visit gbac.issa.com.